David's Israel Adventure

This blog will chronicle the adventures of me, David Weinfeld, as an Otzma fellow in Israel, from August 21st, 2005 to May 29th, 2006. I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me (though that would be a tad bizarre, now wouldn't it?).

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What Makes A Good Souvlaki?

According to Bill, the pita makes the souvlaki. Who is Bill? Bill was born in Montreal to Greek parents. He moved back to Greece when he was an infant and now runs the little supermarket/convenience store/depanneur in the small town of Mikines, or Mycenae, really a tourist town a couple of kilometers away from the museum and sites of Ancient Mycennae. He is very nice and friendly. But why is Bill an expert? Because from the ages of 19 to 22, he returned to Montreal and lived at Parc Extension, working in at Arahova Souvlaki on Parc Avenue. You can understand the excitement I felt when I heard this. I had just eaten at Arahova Souvlaki for the first time this past summer (not the one on Parc Avenue, but still). And Bill was genuinely interested on how the restaurants were doing, and reasonably excited (for a mid-30s guy living in what is a ghost town for most of the year) to hear that I had eaten there. Anyhow, he thinks the pita in Greece is much better and he is correct. He recognizes the importance of Tzatziki though, and I must admit it is the Tzatziki that makes the gyros at Sabbas stand out. It really is incredible.

Anyways, I'm back in Athens now. I had a couple more souvlakis in Patras (at a restaurant called Chick N Chicken). One had bacon. Then I had the Greek Mac at McDonalds here in Athens (which I am not counting in the total) and washed it down with a pork Sabbas gyro. So that brings the total to 8.

Also, Happy Hannukah Jewish readers. Can't remember if I wished you that or not. As you can see, I am celebrating by eating pork souvlaki and gyros. I promise to vhave latkes and sufganiot when I get back to Israel.

2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, David:

You noted in a posting last week the irony of decorating your first Christmas tree while in Israel. But that pales in comparison with your post this week:

"I am celebrating (Hanukkah) by eating pork souvlaki and gyros (in Greece)."

Wow. Considering that Chanukah (at least one way of understanding it) is a holiday that commemorates Jewish resistance to Hellenistic assimilation, I'm not sure what message you're trying to send with your culinary and travel choice during Chanukah. Or you may not be trying to send a message at all. Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and, in general, on the connection between Chanukah and Greece in 2005.

Safe travels...

~Michael

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes a good souvlaki is the warmth of the pita, as well as how bad the Tzaziki makes u smell after. The smellier the better. I love picking up souvlaki and have it smell up my car and clothes for days...

Taks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home