David's Israel Adventure

This blog will chronicle the adventures of me, David Weinfeld, as an Otzma fellow in Israel, from August 21st, 2005 to May 29th, 2006. I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me (though that would be a tad bizarre, now wouldn't it?).

Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas for all

Yesterday, when volunteering with the Arab kids at Achva, I helped them assemble their Christmas tree. This was fascinating because all the employees at Achva are Christian, the volunteers (Nelly and myself) are Jewish and the kids are Muslim. Apparently, they all go to Christian schools (which is why they have no school on Sundays). They seemed to know and love a bunch of Christmas songs in Arabic, including one that sounded identical to "Glooooooria." I decided to try to teach them an English Christmas song, translated into Hebrew:

Al Tiz'Ok, Al Tivkot, Al Teeheeyeh Atzuv, Anee Mesaper Lamah,
Santa Claus bah leh Haifa!

Hu Oseh Reshimah Veh Bodek Et Ze Pa-amayim,
Ho Rotzeh Leer-ot mee tov u-me rah,
Santa Claus bah leh Haifa!


Some kids started to sing a long a bit, but I think I enjoyed it a lot more than they did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home