David's Israel Adventure

This blog will chronicle the adventures of me, David Weinfeld, as an Otzma fellow in Israel, from August 21st, 2005 to May 29th, 2006. I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me (though that would be a tad bizarre, now wouldn't it?).

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Math: A Universal Language

Today, I finally had a real breakthrough with some of the Arab kids. The method: I gave them simple math problems, which they seemed to enjoy. One 9-year-old boy, Karim, was particularly strong at math: he could add and subtract 3-digit numbers. The teacher, Doris, tells me he is the brightest in the class and it showed. He also really seemed to like doing the problems. It was good practice for me too; it had been a long time since I had to do addition and subtraction of that sort. Anyways, I'll probably try to incorporate some math every time I go from now on.

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I once asked Ryan McDonald if he spoke any other languages besides English, he replied: "I speak the language of mathematics." I laughed, but you've just proved his point...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home