David's Israel Adventure

This blog will chronicle the adventures of me, David Weinfeld, as an Otzma fellow in Israel, from August 21st, 2005 to May 29th, 2006. I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me (though that would be a tad bizarre, now wouldn't it?).

Sunday, December 18, 2005

My first Christmas tree

After setting up the tree on Thursday, we decorated it today. By we I mean me, the Christian teacher and Muslim kids at the Arab after-school club. This was my first decorating of a Christmas tree. Ironic that it would come in Israel, I suppose. Apparently it's not only the Christian Arabs that celebrate Christmas, but also many of the Russians. And I think the Russians celebrate the watered-down, Americanized seculr version of the holiday, with trees and Santa, rather than Jesus.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, my understanding from my Russian friends at home is that the tree and present celebration is New Years, not Christmas, despite appearances. As a state without a national religion, the Russians took the traditions of Christmas and moved them back a week for a secular celebration of winter and the passing of time. Not so subtle, but then no one ever accused them of practicing smoke and mirror games.

Maya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home