David's Israel Adventure

This blog will chronicle the adventures of me, David Weinfeld, as an Otzma fellow in Israel, from August 21st, 2005 to May 29th, 2006. I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me (though that would be a tad bizarre, now wouldn't it?).

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The last Gyro

I had what was mostly likely my final gyro in Greece today. Sabbas of course, back in Athens. I had chicken for a change of pace. That tzatziki was calling my name. And the man who makes them makes them so fast. He really is a legend. A hero worthy of Achilles, Herakles, Theseus rolled into one. Indeed, from outside of Sabbas you can see the Acropolis, and it makes me think that Greek civilization has come a long way, from the glory of Ancient Athens, democracy, philosophy, theatre and art to Sabbas' gyros. If you don't think that is progress, than you haven't tasted Sabbas.

Anyhow, that makes 9 gyros/souvlaki on the trip. Historians will always wonder whether I could have had that elusive tenth souvlaki. After all, I did opt for the Greek Mac, displaying my loyalty to McDonalds as an institution, rather than having another souvlaki. That would have put me at 10. My friend Brian had 10, and I know I could have as well. But 9 is a decent total I think.

It is very unlikely I have another one, cuz we're supposed to have a nice-ish Greek meal tonight. Of course, you never know. Anyways, I just want to thank all my fans out there, all the people who were rooting for me. You mean the world to me and when I get back to Israel I vow to renew my schwarma hunt with fiery determination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home